- JAS will organize three astronomical contests, starting from 11/1998 till 5/1999, each contest contains about 10-15 astronomical questions and lasts for nearly one month and half.
- We will choose seven winners in each contest. If more than seven persons answered all the questions correctly, then we will make a lot to decide the seven winners.
- As the three contests end (by the end of May 1999), we will include ALL who correctly answered all the questions in any or all of the contest(s), to make another lot to chose only one person to be granted the GRAND prize, which is a free visit to Jordan for about five days around the 1999 Leonids meteor shower, where Jordan will be well-placed for watching the probable meteor STORM ! We will cover all the costs but the ticket.
- Remark that you don't have to be any of the seven winners in any contest to win the GRAND prize ! In the GRAND prize's lot we will include all who correctly answered all the questions in any or all of the contest(s).
- If you correctly answer all the questions in more than one contest, then you have a greater chance of winning.
- In each contest, we will state the DEADLINE for RECEIVING the answers. And shortly after that - depending on the number of participants - we will announce the names of the seven winners, AND the names of who answered all the questions correctly.
- Each of the seven winners will be granted a certificate from JAS, and his/her name and photograph will appear in the page of the contest.
- Anyone is eligible to participate in these contests, for the exception of specialists in the field (i.e. holders of MSc/PhD degrees in astronomy or astrophysics) - since this is a contest for amateur astronomers only. Noting that participants from Jordan are not also eligible for the Grand Prize.
- We are deeply indebted to the following companies and societies for providing us with the prizes, whose names are found below with their prizes:
- One year subscription in Astronomy Magazine, offered by Kalmbach Publishing Co. (3 prizes).
- One year subscription in Sky & Telescope Magazine, offered by Sky Publishing Corporation. (3 prizes).
- One year subscription in the Meteor Trail Journal of the American Meteor Society (AMS), offered by AMS. (3 prizes).
- One year subscription in the WGN and a copy of the Visual Handbook of the International Meteor Organization (IMO), offered by IMO.
- One copy of the Observer's Handbook 1999 of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada (RASC), offered by RASC.
- One copy of the Beginner's Observing Guide of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada (RASC), offered by RASC.
- One CD of the astronomical program Redshift 3 , offered by Maris Multimedia. (3 prizes).
- One CD of the astronomical program Guide 7.0 , offered by Project Pluto. (3 prizes).
- One CD of the astronomical program The Sky Level IV, offered by Software Biusque.
- One year membership in the Astronomical Society of the Pacific (ASP), including subscription to Mercury Magazine. (3 prizes).
- Every winner will be notified by email first to send his/her personal photograph (no larger than 7*7 cm). If no response is received within three days from the date of notification, this winner will lose his/her right of a prize, and another one will be selected.
- The winner of the Grand Prize will have the great opportunity to meet many invited scientists and authors from many well-known magazines and meteor-related organizations, who are visiting Jordan during the 1999 Leonids meteor shower, such as: ALPO, AMS, BAA, IMO, Astronomy Magazine, and Sky & Telescope Magazine. So do your best NOT to miss that interesting meeting !
- JAS has formed a special committee for the Contest, consisting of:-
- Prof. Hamid Al-Naimy.
- Hanna A. Sabat.
- Marwan Shweiki.
- Mohammad Odeh (Coordinator).
- Mohammad Alawneh.
- Minor changes in the conditions and details of the contest might occur, any of which will be clearly notified.
- We appreciated it, if you can add a link to this page from yours, or inform your group's members about this contest.
- JAS highly welcome any suggestions and comments at the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org, noting that the answers to the contest SHOULD NOT be sent to this address.
The Questions & Answers of The Contests
Click on any of the below issues to see its questions and answers:-
Number of visits to this page since 16 November, 1998 is
[ Back to JAS' Home Page ]
Jordanian Astronomical Society (JAS), All Rights Reserved. This material may not be reproduced in any form without permission. For more information Send E-mail or contact us at :
the Jordanian Astronomical Society (JAS), P.O.Box 141568, Amman 11814 Jordan